On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be worth while to discuss the possibility of LTS releases
> (Long Term Support) with 5 or 7 year support (from time of initial
> release)...?
>
> 5.3 is 2.5 years old now.  Which means depending on the option that's
> chosen here, it'll be completely out of support a mere 3.5 to 4.5
> years after initial release.  For a platform or program, that's fine.
> But for a programming language, that seems a bit...  short.
>
> Instead, I'd like to see at least one current release be "LTS", or
> "extended support" which would then be covered by security fixes (at
> the very least) for at least 5, and possibly 7 or even 10 years after
> initial release.
>
> If you think it's worth talking about, I'll whip up an RFC to go over
> what I mean and more justification for it...

there was a discussion about using lts versions:
http://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/msg51086.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/msg50773.html
but there were no consensus about it.
I think that we don't need an "new" RFC, we just need to answer the same
questions which was just "skipped" (basically discussed to the death, but
we couldn't reach a conclusion) back then:
- how many concurrent releases do we want/can support
- do we need lts releases, if so then how will we chose that

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu