On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Paul Dragoonis <dragoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickalla...@php.net>
>> wrote:

>>> It does make sense to me.
>>>
>>> In the first case, when calling f3(), $f1 is still referenced.
>>> In the second case, when calling f3(), the result of f2() is
>>> referenced, but there is no more active reference to the result of
>>> f1().
>> I don't really know when PHP frees temporary variables, but my guess
>> was that they are freed when the scope is left.
>
> Each variable has a refcount, then that hits 0 it can be freed up.

To add to that. A zval will have a refcount, so if you do $a =
someFunc(); then $a will have a refcount.

If you do something like $a = someFunc(anotherFunc(moreFunc())), the
return values of anotherFunc() and moreFunc() will be temp stored, but
they will _not_ have a refcount because they never got assigned into a
zval like $a.

Hope that made sense.