Me again,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Kris Craig <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also,
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Kris Craig <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM, David Soria Parra <d...@php.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Internals,
>>>
>>> The initial migration is done and initial testing was successful.
>>>
>>>  http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=summary
>>>  http://github.com/php/php-src
>>>
>>> Please note that some branches and tags were renamed to make
>>> the repository cleaner.
>>>
>>> Please checkout the repository and play around. I have created
>>> a workflow wiki page at https://wiki.php.net/vcs/gitworkflow.
>>> There is also an FAQ at https://wiki.php.net/vcs/gitfaq.
>>>
>>> If you have questions about the workflow or problems let me know.
>>> General git questions should be asked in the appropriate IRC channels
>>> and mailinglists.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> Could we modify the workflow to recommend using the "--no-ff" switch when
>> merging in a feature branch?  This is by and large the recommended approach
>> as it preserves the feature branch's commit history, making it *much*easier
>> to sort through complex features that contain numerous commits.
>>
>> --Kris
>>

> I noticed that the workflow page recommends using the SSH URL for
> cloning.  However, isn't that one much more limited access?  I.e. for
> myself at least, it just prompts for a password (presumably for the SSH
> "git" user) which of course I don't have.  Is there a reason why that's
> recommended or is it just a typo?  If the latter, I'd be inclined to change
> it to the SSL (i.e. https) URL (which the FAQ recommends for clone/push and
> utilizes php.net credentials) to minimize confusion.
>
> --Kris

Also on the workflow page, it shouldn't be necessary to do "git checkout -b
PHP-5.3 origin/PHP-5.3" if the local repo is already tracking from remote
(which it is if you did a git clone to set it up).  Instead, you can simply
do "git checkout PHP-5.3" and it will automatically track from the remote
branch and pull the necessary data to create a local working copy.

Any objections to me changing that?  The less confusing we can make it,
particularly for people who are already struggling with the SVN
withdrawals, the better IMHO.  =)

--Kris