On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Stas Malyshev's message of Thu Jan 19 16:08:28 -0800 2012:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > - According to this website there are still 94 test failures in 5.4 .
> > > Can you confirm all of them are minor problems?
> > > http://gcov.php.net/viewer.php?version=PHP_5_4
> >
> > Most of them appear so, I'll go through them again to be sure and
> > encourage others to do so too and raise red flags if somebody sees
> > something bad there.
> > Unfortunately, some tests are environment-dependent or otherwise have
> > subtle dependencies or structure that make them work on one system and
> > fail on another not because of the bug in PHP but because of the test
> > itself. So, I have 0 fails on my Linux build but 6 fails on my Mac
> > build. Other times some systems may not support some capability, use old
> > version of the library, etc. and the test may not account for that.
>
> These tests should be skipped or marked as XFAIL on platforms they are
> known to fail on. Better to have no test than one that cannot be relied
> upon. All supported platforms should pass with 0 fails. These intentional
> skips should have open bugs that are documented in the test code so that
> a developer can find out why this test was disabled when trying to make
> a change covered by the test.
>

> > I do not think it is practical to postpone release until we solve all of
> > such problems, since this being volunteer-driven open-source project
> > this means not having any release schedule at all. I prefer having the
> > schedule even if that means we'd have to release with some known
> > deficiencies.
> >

> Its pretty bad actually. For all of PHP's success, this is something that
> continues to baffle me, and many others I have talked to who are charged
> with measuring quality and with patching systems in a timely manner. How
> better to document unreliable tests than to skip them with something like
> "SKIPPED - known to fail on Mac".
>
> Its precisely this unreliability that forced me to take a conservative
> approach for Ubuntu 12.04 and recommend to the community that we ship
> 5.3.9 instead of 5.4.0. I would much rather have the new stuff in, but
> even if all the tests pass on the machine we run the test suite on,
> how can we be sure they won't fail in another time zone, or in some
> other strange configuration?

Given that 12.04 beta2 will be out on Thursday, and the unit tests where
fixed before shipping 5.4 (I naively assume), is this in or out?
ref: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-p-php54

With beta freeze on march 22 I guess the "mistake" of bundeling 5.3 instead
of 5.4 is already made, and we will have to live with that for the next 2
years for prod, and the next 7 months for dev.