Moriyoshi was kidding, as near as I can tell (:

To take it at face value though, the *cough* April 1st *cough*
proposal of Moriyoshi calls for the complete abolition of the feature
with no backwards compatibility with existing code that uses PHP as a
template language... including most popular frameworks that sensibly
obey a separation between class files and template files but still use
PHP rather than a dedicated templating language for templates.

I don't think that's realistic (and neither did the author it
appears). Since PHP's usability as a template language may conceivably
be improved by other proposals, it is undesirable as well even if you
don't currently find PHP to be a suitable template language.

Please read my proposal over carefully as it does address the obvious
issues that make Moriyoshi's proposal possibly less than serious in
intent (:

I would oppose a php.ini flag for this as that gives us two
incompatible versions of the current version of the language to worry
about and makes the feature effectively unusable in reusable code.
This approach has created problems before.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is RFC that is written by Moriyoshi.
> It's not listed in RFC page, though.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/nophptags
>
> I think these should be merged.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Yasuo Ohgaki
> yohg...@ohgaki.net
>

> 2012/4/9 Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Moriyoshi has created same entry on 4/1, but
>> it seems it was deleted  already.
>>
>> Anyway, he had a patch for it.
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/2266652
>>
>> As I mentioned in other thread, we should better to have
>> a switch to disable embed mode for security reasons.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Yasuo Ohgaki
>> yohg...@ohgaki.net
>>

>> 2012/4/9 Tom Boutell <t...@punkave.com>:
>>> I have written an RFC proposing backwards-compatible support for
>>> source files without an opening <?php tag:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/source_files_without_opening_tag
>>>
>>> This RFC is not yet listed at https://wiki.php.net/rfc. I am not sure
>>> what the requirements are to get it added to the "Under Discussion"
>>> session and get the ball rolling formally. Please enlighten and I'll
>>> do whatever is required.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tom Boutell