Hi,

2012/4/10 Luke Scott <l...@cywh.com>:
>> It's easy to say "write correct code. don't write stupid code", but
>> we cannot enforce it in real world.
>>
>> I'm concerning both arbitrarily script execution and arbitrarily
>> information disclosure. Good example is  LFI and SQL injection
>> attack.
>
> Uh yeah there is. I won't employ someone who insists on writing code
> like this. I dont know anyone who will. I also wont use libraries that
> have code like this. Not only is it insecure but an improper use of
> these constructs/functions.

Attackers are supposed to abuse features.
Writing data into a file is RDBMS feature.
Including file is PHP feature.

Combined features could give great freedom to attackers stealing
data and/or executing scripts.

What we should consider is "proper protections".

> All this has nothing to do with Tom's RFC. It has nothing to do with
> having a <?php tag or not.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/source_files_without_opening_tag

The RFC states "This RFC proposes a way to support source code
files without <?php at the top."

It has almost nothing to do LFI protection, though.

> I would actually suggest that require/include stop supporting remote
> files all together. But that can be a different RFC.
>
> This "security problem" isn't a problem with common sense.

Requiring/Including remote file is not bad, just like embedded mode
of PHP is not bad.

They are bad for security if they are enabled by default or mandatory.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki