On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 13:35 +0200, jpauli wrote:
> - mysqli_get_client_stats()
> - mysqli_get_connection_stats()
> - mysqli_get_cache_stats()
>
> Those three functions are ext/mysqlnd related, they are #ifdef 'ed in
> the source code of ext/mysqli and not defined if ext/mysqli has been
> compiled against libmysql.

With libmysql we don't have the statistics, therefore they are useless.

> There is a mismatch in the naming and the place here, those 3
> functions should be part of ext/mysqlnd API, and be named
> mysqlnd_****().

Until 5.4 we couldn't do "mysqlnd_get_connection_stats" as there was no
way to get from an arbitrary zval (PDO or mysqli object, mysql resource)
to the corresponding MYSQLND*.

The other reason is that one idea for mysqlnd was that it doesn't expose
anything to the userland while ext/mysql is legacy and get's no
additions and PDO would allow user-defined functions,while that's not
really nice.

> What if I choose to only compile pdo_mysql (against mysqlnd) and not
> mysqli ?? I then would be able to use mysqlnd, but I would have access
> to its statistics, as its functions are part of ext/mysqli... Strange
> as well as embarrassing isn't it ?

You simply shouldn't do that ;-)

> Second, I would suggest to add a function that would reset the global
> stat counter. The only way to do it actually is by passing in MINIT(),
> so by restarting PHP ; it may be useful, and not very hard to develop,
> to create a mysqlnd_stats_reset($someOptionsIfNeeded) function.
>
> Any ideas, comments ?

Feel free to open a ticket in the bug tracker and assign it to us (mysql
user).

johannes
--
Johannes Schlüter, MySQL Engineering Connectors and Client Connectivity
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG, Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München