Clint,

Very nice job overall!  Looking quite good.

>  Alternatively we could throw an error to a call on isset and/or unset
> against a property which didn't define an implementation.

I don't care for that concept much.  All it's doing is trading one set
of boilerplate for another.  I'd prefer the get() !== null approach,
since there is a zval allocated for it, so the isset() part.

And I do like the unset overloading, which is right inline with __unset()...

Additionally, is something like this possible?

class Foo {
    private $bar = 1;
    public $bar {
        get { return $this->bar; }
        set { $this->bar = (int) $value; }
    }
}

The reason that I ask, is that's kind of what's done with __get() and
__set() right now, the magic is called when it's out of scope.  So in
this case, we can have a public variable with the same name as the
private one, but with validations attached to the public exposure...

Just a thought...

Anthony