There are alternative opcode cachers besides APC. For example xcache, for
me, just works when APC is still catching up.
I remember someone writing about APC that it is overly compex internally
and due to that hard to keep up with the changes in the PHP, maybe that is
not the case now.
But looking at the xcache and using it in production for 5-6 years I see
that something is true in the previous statement, because when new version
is out - xcache is always up to date, witch can't be said about the APC.
Just say'n.