hi Rasmus,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 08:17 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
>> I for one would like to kill all the legacy features or too specific
>> features which are really unusable by any common developers.
>>
>> Other developers may disagree but it makes very hard to maintain APC.
>
> There are really just two big features in APC. The opcode caching and
> the user-cache that sits on top of the same shared memory segment used
> by the opcode cache.

Right, I wold like to split them tho'. To have two independent memory
for opcodes and user cache.

> Everything else are just little tweaks that amount
> to very little code.

Maintenance complexity is not necessary related to the amount of code
but the amount of cases to test. These cases also make very hard for
our users to understand APC and how it behaves (the stat=0 being the
easiest one to understand but causing most issues, for example).

That's where eAccelerator or xCache do way better, if it works, it
simply works, no magic option or other confusing (for the users)
options.

> The biggest cleanup we would get moving it to core
> would be the ability to drop all the #ifdef checks for the different
> engine versions since we would obviously only need to support the
> current one.

We will still have to support current supported versions via PECL.

Cheers,
--
Pierre