On 07/13/2012 07:35 PM, Stas Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

So, I've not been inside the engine so in practice this may make no
sense at all, but what about looking at it the other way around?  Vis,
instead of making objects more and more like arrays, make arrays an
object that happens to implement ArrayAccess, Iterator, and whatever
That'd be very nice idea if we were implementing new PHP. I think the
fact that arrays are not objects in PHP is a source of many problems.
However, right now it probably won't be possible to do it without
breaking BC in many places dealing with array copy/assignment/passing
semantics.

Hm, valid point. Is there no way that we could setup one object to pass "the old way"? I suppose that would result in just as many special case exceptions...

Perhaps that's a change that could be considered for whatever version does get called PHP 6? PHP 5 changed the passing semantics for objects and we survived that, and it was a big boon to the language. Perhaps that could be rolled into bigger changes later? (There's a PHP 6 thread right now I've not looked at yet...)

--Larry Garfield