On 07/24/2012 03:52 AM, jpauli wrote:
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:
Hi!

So, I've not been inside the engine so in practice this may make no
sense at all, but what about looking at it the other way around?  Vis,
instead of making objects more and more like arrays, make arrays an
object that happens to implement ArrayAccess, Iterator, and whatever
That'd be very nice idea if we were implementing new PHP. I think the
fact that arrays are not objects in PHP is a source of many problems.
However, right now it probably won't be possible to do it without
breaking BC in many places dealing with array copy/assignment/passing
semantics.
I'd then say : let's keep that idea somewhere to implement it in a new
major PHP version.
Anyway, there will come a time where we will be developing for PHP6
(or PHP next Major if you prefer), and I think we should use
this gap to break BC and add new cool ideas like this one, we seem all
to agree with.

Julien.P

Agreed. We survived Objects becoming, er, Objects in PHP 5.0. Arrays changing would be a major version change, but if the benefits are enough, we could survive that, too.

--Larry Garfield