Thanks for the comments guys, I like your idea about skipping the
by-ref count parameter.

If the 'default' keyword were to be added in, then you could skip the
4th parameter and add your 5th 'limit' option.

$str = str_replace($search, $replace, $subject, default, 5);

Does anyone have any objections on this implementation approach?
(obviously we'd have to wait for the default param skipping to be
implemented, I'm not sure on the implementation status of that
feature)

Thanks.
Paul Dragoonis.