On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Florian Anderiasch
<flor...@anderiasch.de> wrote:
> On 07/16/2012 10:29 AM, Paul Dragoonis wrote:
>> Thanks for the comments guys, I like your idea about skipping the
>> by-ref count parameter.
>>
>> If the 'default' keyword were to be added in, then you could skip the
>> 4th parameter and add your 5th 'limit' option.
>>
>> $str = str_replace($search, $replace, $subject, default, 5);
>>
>> Does anyone have any objections on this implementation approach?
>> (obviously we'd have to wait for the default param skipping to be
>> implemented, I'm not sure on the implementation status of that
>> feature)
>
> I'm not seeing what's the problem with it being a by-ref variable, as
> you've mentioned it twice now. Are you bothered by an additional
> variable being set in memory when skipping (i.e. not using it)? Or am I
> reading more into it than you tried to say? :)

I believe you were reading more into it.

I mention by-ref so it's easy to know if i'm talking about the
existing or new proposed param.

I'm not bothered by the by-ref param being skipped over to get to the
5th one, it's a hit I'm willing to take to achieve necessary
functionality on str_replace().

If nobody has any further concerns I'll go ahead and create this new
parameter and provide a PR on github accordingly.

Paul Dragoonis.