Why is your try block only going to contain 1 line, and that's
throwing an exception??

try
throw new Exception('foobar');
catch(Exception $e)

Braces are a good thing, they give structure and stop people from
mis-reading things and writing bugs, the same can be said for the if()
situation.

1) Braces are good.
2) Try with only one line in it to throw an exception doesn't seem
like a realistic situation.

-1 from me, sorry Hoa.