On Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 7:49 PM, Paul Dragoonis wrote:

> Why is your try block only going to contain 1 line, and that's
> throwing an exception??
>
> try
> throw new Exception('foobar');
> catch(Exception $e)

Because it's a contrived example. He's not trying to write real code, he's
trying to demonstrate his point - and you totally missed that point.

> Braces are a good thing, they give structure and stop people from
> mis-reading things and writing bugs, the same can be said for the if()
> situation.
>
> 1) Braces are good.
This is subjective. There are some cases where it might improve code
readability to drop the braces for a single-statement try/catch.

There's certainly no technical barrier to doing this. I'm not familiar with
PHP's parser, but I'd imagine there would be some kind of 'statement'
non-terminal that would handle single statements as well as a braced group of
statements.

> 2) Try with only one line in it to throw an exception doesn't seem
> like a realistic situation.

There could be some utility to this. For example, as well as having post-fix
if, unless, etc., Ruby also has a post-fix 'rescue'. Here's a silly example of
its use:

    some_var = foo.bar rescue "oops"

If 'foo.bar' threw an exception, some_var would contain "oops" instead.

I think PHP could benefit from having a single statement try form. I often turn
to PHP for quick and dirty scripts when I need to do something with little
fuss. I think having try/catch support brace-less single statements would help
increase consistency in PHP's syntax, as well as be useful in certain
situations.