It is absolutely related to how the PHP project approaches things.
As a project we have always valued backwards compatibility and migration path.
That focus and approach is one of the reasons why PHP is so pervasive. It is
sometimes more fun to break (fix) everything but the reality is that while it
may feel better it ultimately can have a significantly negative impact on PHP
pervasiveness and success.

Generally speaking we've done a good job in balancing the two and phasing out
functionality over time in a responsible way. Like any project, we've also had
our missteps on that front which has made migration a bit more painful than it
needed to be.

Andi