Hi!

> The current raft of PHP problems arise from the fact that "we actually put a
> lot
> of emphasis on not breaking backward compatibility" seems just to be lip
> service
> to the real problem ... Taking stuff out in PHP5.4 would be fine if people
> are

So what would happen if it would be real BC? I mean, if you want 5.4, we
need to make some changes. Some of these changes will make either
impossible or impractical to support broken code, and some broken code
warnings were actually requested by the users. So I see one of the two ways:
1. Ignore our users asking for warnings on broken code, since somebody
might have problems upgrading when his code is broken.
2. Listen to our users asking for warning on broken code, and prefer
future clean code to old broken one.

Do you see any third way to do? If so, please describe.

> Helping to solve the problem would also help everybody else upgrade TO PHP5.4?

OK, so what help do you require?

> Add to this the fun getting Apache 2.4 configured with PHP and my old
> framework,
> it is no wonder I grumpy ... I would much rather be adding functionality and
> working on NEW stuff than fixing the problems other people leave behind. And
> don't need any of the new PHP5.3/44 features to write my own new code.

While I can sympathize with your problems fixing bad code left by other
people, I am not sure how it is relevant on this list - is there
something that people present on this list can help you with? What is it?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/