Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Only with short tags on ... 5.4 has detached it from that, but 5.3 still
>>switches it off by default, and convincing ISP to switch short tags on again
is
>>a lost cause:(  Fixing it in PHP5.3 was rejected:(
>
>Errm... So you are complaining we're not going back in time now and make
>different decision about PHP 5.3 that was made years ago? Or what is
>your point exactly?
Note also that we have been*extremely*  conservative with the
short_open_tag setting because we know it can break old code. To this
day even in PHP 5.4 it is still on by default as it was in PHP 5.3.
Since PHP 5.1.0 which was released in 2005 we have suggested that people
disable it in their php.ini because of the obvious problems it causes
with respect to other things that use the XML PI tag, but we have in no
way forced their hands. If you simply upgraded PHP and didn't change
your php.ini, nothing related to short_open_tags would have broken in
the past 15 years.

Then can you explain why <?= has stopped working on shared hosting on a number of ISP's who have recently updated from 5.2 to 5.3 ... The default on PHP5.3 is to switch 'short_open_tag' off? which also disables <?= which is a bit of a problem when the sites are using templating which relies on it :( The horse has bolted now, but it would have been nice when this particular problem was highlighted that PHP5.3 was backported with the fix that HAS been applied to 5.4 ...
This is an example of a simple problem, not of 'buggy code' :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL