> Sandboxing: Complicated by the fact that it only works in a threaded
> build, can't transfer all types (e.g. resource, complex objects), and
> can't run concurrently.  Until/unless these problems can be
> meaningfully solved, I wouldn't consider it a functional
> implementation.

To me the "thread thing" feels like the dirty hack workaround
_because_ it's in PECL, and this is the only option available.

chroot() isn't available everywhere. chrooting with php-fpm requires
an additional amount of configuration (and forethought), and running
both a chrooted and non-chrooted pool even more so.

I did originally pose it as a potential v6 feature, and that's where
I'll leave it. In the "wouldn't it be nice" pile.

There's always going to be cases where products want to use
user-generated code, and isolating in a way that prevents it breaking
things is desirable. Having the right tools to do that instead of
requiring clunky workarounds "would be nice" when the engine can
support it.