>> Because checking that the returned variable is `!== FALSE` is *way*
>> better than throwing an exception, right?
>
> Yes, it is. You can control it, unlike the exception which you can not,
> unless, again, you wrap everything into try/catch on every kind of
> exception possible.
>
>> This type of thing is one of the main reasons I like PDO more than
>> MySQLi.  In MySQLi I'm constantly checking return values.  In PDO I
>> just wrap it all up one try/catch.  It's not like if my query fails
>> I'm going to try a different one.  Most of the time it's just logging
>> that something went wrong and reporting it upstream somehow.
>
> You are using exceptions for normal flow control. It is not what
> exceptions should be used for. They are called exceptions for a reason.

It *should* be an exceptional situation if my database queries don't
work properly.  I've tested my code locally, on a staging environment
and sometimes even ran tests on the live server.  It is absolutely
100% an exception if something goes wrong, my friend.

Opening a file? I have to agree that it should not throw an exception.
 I was replying more to explain the benefit of exceptions than to
refute that one possible use-case.