Ferenc,

>>  Not for PHP 5.5 (if that's happening?), but for PHP 6 I think a lot of
> > things should become exceptions.
>

> From the impression that I get from reading through the mailing list
> threads and the irc discussions I think that there aren't that many things
> that could turn into exceptions.
> E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR and probably that's it.

Actually, from my look at it, almost all E_WARNINGs, a number of E_NOTICEs
(the ones that make sense to transition, like array to string cast),
E_RECOVERABLE and certain E_ERROR (such as call to undefined method, etc)
can be turned pretty easily. The ones that can't (without significant
change to the engine at least) are deeper E_ERROR, E_CORE_*, and E_PARSE...

Take a look at the library I am linking to deeper down. All of those errors
are core thrown errors that can be easily turned into exceptions. Plus the
E_ERROR that I couldn't, but we can in core (again, call to undefined
method, etc)...

> > I don't think that, personally, PHP's current error handling system is
> > sufficient for properly handling errors.
>

> It is working for years, it could be improved but I wouldn't call it
> insufficient.

Any system where it's **harder** to handle the error properly than to
ignore it is insufficient in my book. The fact that you need something like
this: https://github.com/ircmaxell/ErrorExceptions to handle errors
properly as exceptions (to be notified not that an error occured, but the
type of error) is indicative of that...

Anthony