On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Pádraic Brady wrote:

> I've written an RFC for PHP over at: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/escaper.
> The RFC is a proposal to implement a standardised means of escaping
> data which is being output into XML/HTML.
>
> Cross-Site Scripting remains one of the most common vulnerabilities in
> web applications and there is a continued lack of understanding
> surrounding how to properly escape data. To try and offset this, I've
> written articles, attempted to raise awareness and wrote the
> Zend\Escaper class for Zend Framework. Symfony 2's Twig has since
> adopted similar measures in line with its own focus on security.
>
> That's all. The RFC should be self-explanatory and feel free to pepper
> me with questions. As the RFC notes, I'm obviously not a C programmer
> so I'm reliant on finding a volunteer who's willing to take this one
> under their wing (or into their basement - whichever works).
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/escaper

I understand that this is really beneficial to have, but, I wonder, why
can't this be a composer-installable class, implemented in PHP? It
solves the issue that you need to find a volunteer, as well as that
updating it is a lot easier, and, you don't have to rely on shared
hosters having it enabled.

I realize that you want to have this
generally available, but for that we have ext/filter - which is not
really used too much I *think*. Why would this be different? IMO, we
should make a composer installable package for this, and then litter all
our escaping related document pages with links to this new package.

cheers,
Derick

--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org