Bryan et al,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Bryan C. Geraghty <br...@ravensight.org>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Paddy is correct here. The purpose of this API is output ENCODING which is
> very good thing. This discussion provides a very good case for a point I
> made via Twitter this morning: In this RFC, all uses of the term "escape"
> should be replaced by the term "encode".
>
> This is not solely a problem with this RFC. The term "escape" is being used
> developers in the industry when they mean "encoding". This is bad thing
> because, from a security perspective, escaping is exactly the opposite of
> encoding.

It's a very common thing: http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/116.html

The usage of the "encoding" and "escaping" terms varies widely. For
example, in some programming languages, the terms are used interchangeably,
while other languages provide APIs that use both terms for different tasks.
This overlapping usage extends to the Web, such as the "escape" JavaScript
function whose purpose is stated to be encoding. Of course, the concepts of
encoding and escaping predate the Web by decades. Given such a context, it
is difficult for CWE to adopt a consistent vocabulary that will not be
misinterpreted by some constituency.

I think that picking one, and sticking with it is fine. No matter which is
chosen...

- Escaping is done by setting up a black-list and replacing those elements
> with an approved variant.
> - Encoding is done by converting all of the input data into the target
> format. Some bytes may end up being exactly the same but they are all
> processed.

With the end result being the exact same...

> I understand why people on this list are associating the functionality
> defined in this RFC with filtering because the name is leading them astray.
>
> Besides the fundamental difference in the definitions of each item, the
> security industry is using the term "encoding"; take a look at the OWASP
> documentation for a quick example.

The OWASP documentation uses them interchangeably. However, specifically
for this task, the ESAPI is defined as a:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_(Cross_Site_Scripting)_Prevention_Cheat_Sheet

The OWASP ESAPI <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/ESAPI> project has created
an escaping library in a variety of languages including Java, PHP, Classic
ASP, Cold Fusion, Python, and Haskell.

If we want developers with little application security background to be able
> to understand these things, we need to be consistent.

In this case, I'm not sure consistency with the industry is as important
(mainly because the industry is itself inconsistent). The important thing
is to pick one and stick to it. I would suggest "escape" mainly because
people in PHP are already familiar with it (via mysql_real_escape_string,
etc)...

Anthony