Hi!

>> public DateTime $date;
>
> This is *real* progress, even if under the hood all it does is wrap

I think it's a movement in wrong direction. Again, it is an attempt to
make PHP a strongly typed language, which would not work well in a
dynamic language like PHP, for reasons that were amply explained in 9000
discussions we had on this topic before.

> functions and use function type-hints.  This piece of code is SO much
> shorter and cleaner.  Will it be a bit confusing to new developers?
> Maybe, but I don't care. It is not aimed at making the lives of new

I think you should care. PHP is a beginner's language, it always was its
core market. Adding more and more complicated features that benefit 0.1%
of developers in PHP is a new direction, and I'm not sure at all it is a
good direction for PHP to take.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/