Am 22.10.2012 um 21:44 schrieb Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com>:
> This is not about turning PHP into Java. Can we get over that old rhetoric
> already? Instead of bashing proposals like this, can we discuss them,
> instead of this hatred for all things strict?
>
> With that aside, I have mixed feelings on this.

… and while it might not be about turning PHP into Java it might still be
worthwhile to read a bit about experiences with Generics in Java:

Basically it means that you type more (redundant) stuff to allow the compiler
to check some errors.
And while type hints and PPP are along the same line I think the main
difference is that they put the burden on the declarations, not on the users of
an API.

That said I'm not even using type hints of PPP and sometimes it would be handy
if internal functions would be less strict about their parameters (e.g.
debug_backtrace() not accepting two arguments in PHP < 5.4 and return null in
that case instead of silently ignoring the extra parameter).

- Chris