Hey Larry,

Glad you chimed in here on this. I my opinion (author of thingy), they are separate and distinct from data members. More specifically they are getter and setter code that is called when the property is accessed.

Using your example:

echo $obj->baz; // executes the code "return $this->baz;"

and

$obj->baz = 4;  // executes the code "$this->baz = $value;"

So from the perspective of the user of the class, they are just "properties" but internal to the class they are implemented with methods and code.

I think everyone would agree that your #1 is definitely not right, however I believe there is not consensus on whether or not these *are* different from properties. To the consumer of the class, they are no different than properties, to the author of the class they are very different.