hi!

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Adam Harvey <ahar...@php.net> wrote:

> I've written an RFC to cover deprecating ext/mysql in PHP 5.5:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/mysql_deprecation. While we handled the soft
> deprecation in the documentation purely via a straw poll on Internals,
> I presume this will end up needing to go to a vote, hence the RFC.
>
> I won't rehash the background overly (there's some more detail in the
> RFC), other than to note that we've now had deprecation notices on all
> mysql_* functions in the manual for about six months and that the
> logical next step is to start generating E_DEPRECATED notices when
> users connect via mysql_connect(), mysql_pconnect() or the implicit
> ext/mysql connection routines. It's my belief that doing so will
> hasten the move of users to the more modern (and supported) APIs
> available: mysqli and PDO, and that this process will also likely
> encourage some users to switch to safer patterns such as prepared
> queries at the same time.
>
> I must apologise for the lateness of this RFC: I had hoped to do this
> some time before alpha 1, but travel and illness have taken their
> toll. Better late than never!
>
> So, please provide comments, feedback, concerns, and so on. Obviously,
> this isn't going to a vote for at least a couple of weeks, but earlier
> feedback is better.

Huge +1.

The same arguments against deprecating it have been used for years
without effects. Time to use a different approach.

Also the mysql team provides a script which wraps the newers APIs into
a ext/mysql api, allowing easy migration by including it.

adding Ulf to the loop too.

Cheers,
--
Pierre