hi Alan!

> .. annoying top posting...

Why do you top post too then? :)

> This is getting close to a good solution.
>
> ini option  mysql_is_deprecated - can not be set in .ini/htaccess etc, only
> by ini_set() - so hosters/distros can not fix it...

Are you asking to add an option to do exactly the same than the error
reporting option does?

> Normally added just before mysql_connect...
>
> ini_set('mysql_is_deprecated', "I WILL NOT USE IT IN THE FUTURE");

eror_reporting(...);
> mysql_connect(......)

> Solves:
> - Users will get warnings on upgrading - it can not be hidden by
> hosters/distros etc.
> - Users can easily disable the warning, however they will be explicitly
> aware of the problem.

Warning on install, on connect and in the doc is not enough? :)  And
once it is on pecl, we have the superseded/deprecated flag too there.
It won't help for distros but distros will follow app leads, as usual.
The only reason why distros still provide ext/mysql by default is
because the apps require it by default.

Cheers,
--
Pierre