Adam Harvey wrote:
Deprecation is a strong signal. It's a signal that it's time to update
tutorials. It's a signal to schedule upgrades for code when new
versions are written to use more modern APIs. It's a signal to those
of us who speak at conferences, and help people in various fora and
various ways that we should redouble our efforts to communicate the
benefits of MySQLi and/or PDO.

Since I don't have karma to vote on line I need to raise my objections here.
There is no 'objection' to deprecating the extension, but adding E_DEPRECATED to the code is problematic since that should NOT be present in a PECL version of the code? Adding it in one location and not the other does not make sense. ALL that is needed is that the 'extension' is more difficult to access than the preferred alternatives. When MySQL was dropped as 'automatically enabled' and people kept asking 'Where is it?' people accepted the reasoning. Doing the same thing now warning at the loading stage makes this much more practical, since having to disable E_DEPRECATED because of running legacy code and then loosing also the IMPORTANT deprecated warnings is just wrong!

I'd almost make a case for moving the currently clean code to PECL now so we CAN load a clean version of mysql if we need to do that. It's bundling it with other deprecated code that is my problem :( Personally I'm only running MySQL to support legacy code, and if this goes ahead then it's another reason to stop upgrading from PHP5.4 ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL