I agree with this very much.

In Doctrine we used Docblocks only because its the only means of
implementing something that closely resembles native annotation support. I
would be happy if we would have a Docblock parser in SPL, so that all
libraries can agree on using its syntax, however ultimately its just
missing the point that language level annotations would still be very handy.

greetings,
Benjamin