On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Everyone I talked to who implemented annotations in docblocks did it
> > as hack because there is no native support. This is not something that
> > belongs to docblocks. It would be nice if you could take a look at the
> > c# doc, there are really good concepts there.
>
> I know why they did it, and we already discussed that stuff in the last
> annotation discussion. What I mean here is that presenting it as if the
> notion of meaningful comments is completely unheard of in PHP and nobody
> expects it is just wrong. Maybe it was so years ago, but it is
> definitely not true now - de-facto meaningful comments *are* the
> standard now, and have a lot of use, and nobody with any experience is
> surprised by them. Regardless of *why* is it so, it is a fact.
>
> Stas,

That still does not make it the right place. Annotations went into docblocks
because it was the only place reflection could provide the needed
information at
runtime. Just because we now treat docblocks as 1st class citizens does not
mean annotations should be there.

Does that mean that annotations should be in docblocks and not in core
for the reason of "we all know docblocks exist". I would seriously expect
at the very least a stronger reason. These were some of the ones i heard
before:

1. The syntax is crap: this is solvable, let's find the right syntax
2. PHP does not need it: i think we have proven the use already, every
major FW has a
implementation of this, there is clearly demand.

So if we are going to get anywhere with this discussion I suggest getting
back to
the original RFC and working on solving the issues instead of discussing
developer folklore.

--
Rafael Dohms
PHP Evangelist and Community Leader