> On 01/15/2013 12:09 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, if 2.6.5 is verified than it should be added to
> >> bison_version_list in Zend/acinclude.m4.  Feel free to regenerate the
> >> parsers with it, review the test suite results, and create a github
> >> pull request.
> >
> > Anything outside of "release tarball" won't be supported here. Sorry.
> > However ... having said that, it is certainly worth the attempt.
> >
> > Question for you, ever seen PHP build on Solaris 10 with mysql
> >( in /opt/mysql as per MySQL Release Engineering packages ) and
> >have it pass its own testsuite?
>
> I rarely build on Solaris.  Other messages in this thread mention how
> you can assist the PHP community in resolving any issues you do see.

I see. Well I am not new to this and knew that there would be issues. The
general
modus operandi of most people is to ditch the problem OS and switch over to
Red Hat or maybe SUSE but the software investment here is too great. The switch
over would be long and costly etc etc etc. Also, there are financial
institutions that
still love their UNIX servers ( Solaris ) and are unlikely to let go anytime
soon. Maybe
you could have a word with the executive board at Oracle and get them to stop
making newer bigger Sparc servers and exadata storage?  ;-)

> Are you building a specific PHP version for a reason?  Can you use the
> pre-built Solaris PHP packages in some situations (e.g. see the
> Solaris chapter in
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/php/underground-php-oracle-manual-098250.html)

I was not aware that Oracle had pre-built PHP packages. I can only assume
that they would install with typical SVR4 packages into Solaris 10 and then
be subject to maintenance under a typical MOS contract?  If not, then I am
stuck doing the port work myself.

As for the version, well, the production release version seems like a good way
go.  That seems to be PHP 5.4.10 at the moment and unless someone says that it
is bleeding edge beta grade ... it makes sense to compile it.

I am going to go check out your link there and, perhaps, stay in touch.  from
what I
gather by reading between the lines no one is in a hurry at Oracle to do
anything
on Solaris either.  At least, seems that way.

Dennis