Hi,

I think some of the README files currently present in the php-src repo
would be better kept in the wiki and some of them are already
duplicated/made redundant by our existing wiki pages.

   - README.MAILINGLIST_RULES -> this should be in the wiki or on
php.netsomewhere, this doesn't belong to the code and is always the
same between
   branches/versions.
   - README.WIN32-BUILD-SYSTEM -> this already points to the wiki as the
   info in this file was outdated, so removing this file should be fine.
   - README.namespaces -> I think that namespaces are already well-known
   and covered in the docs, so removing this should be fine.
   - README.input_filter -> this could be moved to the internals docs maybe.
   - README.UNIX-BUILD-SYSTEM -> I think this contains some info where
   nowhere else is mentioned, but it was last changed in 2003 so somebody
   should update if we want to keep it. Should be moved to the wiki imo.
   - README.TESTING2 -> it is somehow covered by
   http://qa.php.net/phpt_details.php and I think that it would be better
   having it in the wiki or on qa.php.net
   - README.TESTING -> also covered on the wiki and on qa,php,net but the
   information is scattered around, so I think it would be a nice thing to
   have central place where we can have everything in one place.
   - README.SUBMITTING_PATCH -> another thing that would be better having
   on php.net or in the wiki (or both), it is slightly outdated (no mention
   of git, still references http://pecl.php.net/bugs/, etc.).
   - README.STREAMS -> no update since 2003, it would be better in the
   internal docs or in the wiki.
   - README.SELF-CONTAINED-EXTENSIONS -> no update since 2002, and already
   covered in the internals docs:
   http://php.net/manual/en/internals2.buildsys.configunix.php
   - README.PHP4-TO-PHP5-THIN-CHANGES -> should be safe to drop imo.
   - README.NEW-OUTPUT-API -> duplicated by
   https://wiki.php.net/rfc/new-output-api but it would be nice having in
   the internals docs also.
   - README.GIT-RULES -> this isn't php version specific and we have a
   bunch of other git/git workflow docs in the wiki so I think it would be
   better removing it from here.
   - README.EXT_SKEL -> I think we could keep this, but would be nice if
   the docs at http://php.net/manual/en/internals2.buildsys.skeleton.phpcould
be synced.
   - README.EXTENSIONS -> no updates since 2001, only states php 4 specific
   changes so I think it would be save to remove.

btw. if we could come up with a solution to have php version specific
documentation of the internals (we already do this for the userland api)
then we could move every other technical docs also from the repo too.
what do you think about this?

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu