On 1/29/2013 6:54 PM, Stas Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

I think having stuff on the wiki is nice, but for things related to the
code - e.g., APIs, builds descriptions, etc. - they should stay in the
code. They are easier to find there and easier to keep up-to-date, and
also ensure they have the content relevant to specific version. We could
have a wiki mirror - if somebody volunteers to maintain the wiki
structure and keep it up-to-date. Do we have such person? I think first
we need to create a place - wiki or manual, but somewhere - where this
content is created and kept up-to-date, and properly versioned when
relevant. When it happens, we can start replacing some of the docs with
the links to this content.
I agree that the repo should be the "source" from which the wiki pages flow, but making them more readily accessible to people not even aware of their existence (never downloaded a tarball) would really improve visibility for non-core.

I know Ferenc already said there is something like it now, perhaps it can be updated to bring these files into the wiki in an automated fashion?

If that's something that is needed/desired, I could head that up as a step in the direction of building the number of core devs.

Alternatively as mentioned just a moment ago, the Wiki format is plainly readable in text form so if we just switched to writing these repo files in a more wiki-friendly format, they can simply be mirrored into the wiki to make them more widely consumable without taking them out of the repo.

-Clint