> I think it'd be great to have a library with unified interface and an
> extension that uses it. However, I'm not sure if these libraries are
> useful in common php use case - short-lived requests. Could I get the
> changes since the last request? Or is it useful only for long-running
> persistent processes?

You're right of course that you are implicitly lengthening a request.
But if you are already embracing a long-polling model that waits for
filesystem changes, the back-end service can actually use fs events
instead of looping -- much more efficient. In fact I do this already
on Windows by running an external FileSystemWatcher EXE and waiting
for it to return (+ a timeout in the wrapper).

-- S.