hi Sanford,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Sanford Whiteman
<swhitemanlistens-softw...@cypressintegrated.com> wrote:
>> There are native APIs for that (read: non .net, aka C) on Windows
>
> Well aware of that. The EXE does use the Win32 API, not a .NET
> wrapper. I've used that API ever since it's been documented.

Right, but these APIs can and should be used within the extension. I
have a couple private extensions using them.

>> using an external process for this purpose would be horrible, in all
>> possible ways.
>
> Well, yeah, that's my very point... having the engine/extension do
> this is the proper direction (I only use this hack to check completion
> of some scheduled tasks, it's all private).
>
> Stas says typical PHP apps don't have a need for file system hooks.

Well, I tend to slightly disagree with him here, that's something,
along with a better locking API and another for shared memory (shared,
process or thread) should be available.

> Sure, long-polling may not be good with thread-per-process webservers,
> but those aren't the only PHP environments in the wild. Once you
> accept that people already roll out long-polling back ends with PHP,
> the next step is to minimize the check-sleep-loop hackery and offer
> true event-driven alternatives when possible.

Events based APIs are already part of the PHP ecosystems. I see no
problem here, even within a request. However there are some technical
issues to solve, APIs and how they should work outside or between
requests.

> Nothing I'm saying is controversial.

That's a tech discussion, I do not see controversy here but exchange
of views or arguments, that's how we move forward :)

Cheers,
--
Pierre