Am 27.2.2013 um 22:01 schrieb Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com>:
> I'm not sure that the current options covering all cases.
> How should one vote if he/she thinks that this should go into the next
> release after 5.5?
> Currently their only option would be to vote for no, which isn't doesn't
> really the same thing.
> Personally I would prefer roll out 5.5 without O+, but release it in PECL
> for all supported branches and move it for core in master(which means
> having it in 5.6/6.0/whatever will be the next version).
> Currently I don't have an option which I'm comfortable with, maybe there
> are others in the similar situation.
>
> ps: I really love what you guys did with opensourcing it, but I just think
> that it is too late for 5.5 and I think that it is better to stick to the
> original roadmap, instead of having a 6 months delay just to ship the O+ in
> the core 6months earlier than the next version after 5.5 would be shipped
> if we would have followed the yearly release plan in the first place.
>
> --
> Ferenc Kovács
> @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

I don't see any reason why we should even have the idea to integrate O+
when it's possible to do it without any delay. Where is the big advantage
of letting customers waiting longer than needed? (Yes, they can install it
from PECL, but this is a suboptimal solution as it is no reason why
installing PHP 5.5)

A major release has to have a sense. There are generators... A finally
keyword... list in foreach...!??? Shiny new features is the right name for
this. Nothing you need. It may clean up code to use them, but this is not
important enough to update, deal with the deprecated mysql extension,
test the environment if everything works with it. Also a lot of users have
PHP versions older than PHP5.4. Some of them may still relay on removed
features like these magic_quotes etc. They all have to change their code
for an update. If there is nothing really important like a faster opcode cache
(faster than APC), less crashes under high load (we have sometimes these
unreproducible reports in the bug list...), they don't matter about it.

Please name me a few good reasons what sense releasing a PHP version
nobody (who is not a developer) cares about it makes.

Bob

(p.s.: I like also these shiny features, but if they'd be so important, you
could
also install from trunk. (That's what I do.) And don't tell me the myth that
only
releases can be stable. Only a few weeks after the introduction of a new
feature it is often as stable as in the future major version.)