> To be fair, the 5.5 situation without pulling in ZO+ is NOT the same as 5.4
> was. Today, right now, there exists at least one stable open source opcode
> cache. 5.4 had none for many months after release. So I'm not sure if the
> same pressures exist.

If you are referring to APC as the stable cache, that unfortunately is
not entirely correct, it is still relatively easy to crash APC unless
some work-arounds are applied. I was speaking to a several people at
the conference just yesterday and they were indicating frequent
crashes with APC, the work-arounds appear to have solved their issues,
but those are not exactly obvious.

> The discussion now is if we delay 5.5 to spend the time pulling it in core.
> But either way (in core or not), ZO+ is open and working on 5.5 alpha. So we
> could skip the core import, and just ship it today as gold, and it would be
> adoptable straight away (unlike how 5.4 was).

Well the question around the delay, is what is the negative
consequence of the delay, versus the advantage of having a built-in
opcode cache shipped as part of 5.5 which is likely to give many
people an impetuous to upgrade from their current 5.2/5.3 install.