Hi!

> http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=136768085009866&w=2

This is great but this is not exactly what I'm talking about. There's a
big difference between having an extension that does JSON in PECL and
replacing part of PHP core (and very commonly used part) by something
else. It very well may be that Remi's extension is ways better that
standard one, and it would be a big step forward for PHP to start using
it instead of what we have now. But it should be an explicit decision
reached by consensus of PHP community, through RFC process, discussion,
vote and so on.
Now, as I said, Debian can choose what they distribute, including
unilaterally. But we can't both say it's Debian's decision alone and
that PHP devs should consider it a PHP issue - if it's a PHP issue, than
the decision to replace core extension (and not the decision to create
PECL extension, which has much less impact and has the consensus almost
always implied - who would object against having a PECL extension that
does something useful?) should be explicitly taken by PHP community. So
if you think it is a PHP issue - please create an RFC with the arguments
to that effect, let's get it discussed and reviewed and have it treated
as PHP issues should be treated.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/