Ondřej Surý wrote:
Well, basically the pecl-json-c is now a default provider of JSON extension
in Debian (and Fedora) and the downstream distributions (Ubuntu, RHEL, ...).

This is an area I've highlighted in the past ... While the PHP distributions define a 'core' set of modules, I don't know of any Linux distribution that actually duplicates it? I'm always having to check which 'modules' are loaded as many of what is called 'core' are not loaded by default. And that does not even get as far as adding pecl modules and in some cases how adding pear ones are handled.

The system has been broken for a long time, and it is getting more and more difficult to ensure that larger projects work 'out of the box'. Normally you have to say 'x is not loaded', and then make a guess at how that can be fixed on the particular distribution? And when ISP's are providing the PHP on shared hosting it's flavoured by the Linux distribution defaults.

In the past I've asked for better support for the modular approach rather than simply assuming everything 'core' is always compiled in. Handling this comes in that category and while in this particular case it would be optimal that both versions work identically, something is going to be broken or 'improved'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL