On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Nikita Popov wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Daniel Lowrey <rdlow...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm probably not the typical PHP user; I spend 99% of my PHP time
> > > using the CLI (and not web SAPIs).
> > > This means that I frequently run PHP without an .ini file. As a
> > > result, when I use any of the date/time
> > > functionality I invariably end up with this awesomeness:

> > > settings blah blah blah.
> > >

> > I was thinking about this again and maybe we could reach the following
> > compromise:
> >
> >  * Set date.timezone = UTC as the default INI value
> >  * In php.ini-production and php.ini-development uncomment the
> >        ;date.timezone =
> >    line, i.e. change it to
> >        date.timezone =
>
> No, php.ini-development should have what PHP does by default.

That's not the case currently and as far as I know that is so
intentionally. ini-development and PHP defaults differ not just in obscure
extension settings, but also in core options like error_reporting,
short_tags, maximum_execution_time, variables_order, register_argc_argv,
display_startup_errors, output_buffering, etc etc etc. If these differences
are not intentional, we should fix this. But I'm pretty sure they are.

Nikita