>> I did not do a very good job explaining what I meant. I meant to say
>> that requiring the timezone to be set prevents you from running
>> without an ini file without any warnings. This is a big annoyance.
>
> If you insist on using the tool in a wrong way, you will be annoyed as
> the tool would not work in a way you want it to work. The right way is
> to set up the ini file. It takes about 2 seconds.

Stas, I'm actually using options provided by the tool:

    php -n

Clearly at some point previously the authors of the CLI API realized
that running without an ini file had advantages. For instance, I don't
want xdebug and other extra extensions loaded if I'm trying to test
performance. The only thing that prevents you from easily doing this
is the date.timezone warning. You have to specify it with -d:

    php -n -d date.timezone=UTC

Which is really not that nice. Why is running without an ini file even
an option if it's punished by default behavior?