On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
> He just asks if we will have a 5.7 release while working on the next major
> in master.
>
> I don't think that we can release the php-next under a years, so I think
> that an 5.7 could be warranted (to keep up with our roadmap), but depends
> on wether or not we have enough new (BC-safe) features.
>
> I don’t see a reason of why we can’t have this major version ready by or
> even sooner than the current yearly rhythm we have.  In fact, if we do aim
> to work in parallel on both 5.7 and .NEXT – we’re likely to needlessly
> delay .NEXT…

Please, Zeev, please. You are again doing a major time and planning
estimation mistake, which will affect all of us.

It is impossible to get php-next ready by next year, simply
impossible. Even if all we will have is phpng, we won't make it.

And really, I rather prefer to do not any php-next now if your only
plans are in phpng.

And as of getting stable before merging, I totally agree with Marco
and you did too when we were talking about the 64bit RFC, which is by
an order of magnitude much smaller and complex than phpng.

--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org