Hi Derick,
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014, Wei Dai wrote:
>
> > > I'm trying to call a function inside a module, a PHP_FUNCTION.
> > >
> > > Other than zend_eval_stringl, what's the direct way to do it?
> >
> > Please refer to call_user_function and call_user_function_ex.
>
> Actually, you need to be careful with this. If you are calling another
> PHP function in the same extension, do *not* use call_user_function.
> Instead, create a common C function that you can call from whereever you
> need to. call_user_function(_ex) is not fast.

i agree.

here is a scenario:

i was wrote an extension, and i need to call some PHP function like “strtr
(http://lxr.php.net/s?defs=strtr&project=PHP_5_4)”  “*trim"  or a function in
another extension but it doesn’t have a common C function. However, i don’t
want to copy the implement
code into my extension.

so, i have two options:

1. copy the duplicate code into my extension, It can be fast in this way, but
the code is not beautiful.
2. call call_user_function(_ex) , it’s slower than the first option, but the
code is more simple and beautiful than the first option.

cheers,
Wei Dai