> Hi!
>
> > No, no it would not. PHP’s explicit casts cannot fail, and there is
> > absolutely no good reason to change this. If people want strict
> > casting, we can add new functions or operators for that specifically.
> > But to break explicit casts and make them sometimes fail would cause
> > innumerable bugs and backwards-compatibility ideas.
>
> I agree. If the developer explicitly states they want conversion, it
> should be conversion. For implicit casts, some tightening may be ok, but
> for explicit ones I think it would bring much more headaches than it's
> worth.

Precisely, it would cause a vast amount of headaches for many projects.
 Think of user input where you are expecting an integer and it must be a
positive integer (which would ultimately be a string); it is much faster to
do a quick check such as:

$foo = (int) $_GET['foo'];
if ($foo > 0) {
}

I'd personally not have to wrap more items around it due to a notice or
warning.