On 14/09/2014 17:41, Andrey Andreev wrote:
Perhaps I should explain what an “internal function” is in PHP parlance. An
internal function is one which is exposed to userland, but is implemented in C
via an extension, rather than in PHP. Examples include literally every function
in PHP’s documentation.
So why are we talking about "internal functions" at all? And what does
that have to do with type hints?

Some of those internal functions, implemented in C, but used by userland developers every day, have type hinting built into them, and some don't. For instance, try passing a non-numeric string to mktime().

As Andrea points out, one of the big problems in this discussion is that those internal functions aren't actually consistent with one another - some of the logic is built into zned_parse_parameters, but fallback behaviour and additional checks are implemented ad hoc all over the standard library.

As a userland developer, this is actually rather confusing, and I'd be interested to know what it would take to come up with some finite set of base behaviours that documented what each function would do given the "wrong" types.

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]