On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Levi Morrison <levi_morri...@byu.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Internals,
>
> I finally have a working implementation for return types RFC[1] built
> on top of master. There are a few notes in the PR[2] about the
> implementation. I invite you all to review the PR and provide
> feedback.
>
> This means that I will soon move the return types RFC to voting phase.
> If you have not yet had time to review the RFC recently I invite you
> to do so now.
>
> The RFC has been slightly altered since the last discussion:
>   - The RFC now targets PHP 7 (previously PHP 5.7).
>   - There is a new section about disallowing return types on certain
> methods[4].
>   - The design and accompanying section of reflection[3] has been
> rewritten entirely.
>
> Regardless of the result of the RFC, I want to thank the many people
> who have been helpful to me as I have learned php-src and iterated
> over this RFC.

+1

What I like about this RFC:
 * It only covers return types and nothing else (no nullable types, no
scalar types, etc), thus avoiding unnecessary controversy.
 * It uses postfix type notation, which is great for `grep`, is compatible
with Hack and avoids weird syntax with anonymous functions (and also with
method generics, should they be introduced in the future).
 * Sticking with covariant return types, even though it was tricky to
implement.

Nikita