On 10/16/14, 8:47 AM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On 10/16/2014 04:27 AM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello all,

I raised this topic on list over a year ago (
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=130417646507744&w=2 ). It was
determined that it wasn't time yet to disable prepared statement
emulation for MySQL yet. However, Rasmus did mention that it was a
possibility for 5.4 (
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=130418875017027&w=2 ). Since that
ship has sailed, I submitted a pull request for trunk to change the
default value of prepared statement emulation for MySQL.

https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/108

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=54638

Does this need to be an RFC (should I draft one)? Or can it just be
pulled as-is?

Thanks,

Anthony

hi,

do we want to change the default for this in PHP7?

Honestly, I am not sure about this anymore. There is a significant
performance benefit in doing client-side prepares. Last year I attempted
to switch to server-side prepares on Etsy's production servers but it
added 30-40ms of page latency because of the extra round trips. And yes,
we were doing too many queries, but I fear if we change this default
people won't understand where this slowdown is coming from.

Of course, in some rare cases using server-side prepares might speed
things up because of prepared statement caching in the server, but I
have yet to see a case where that caching outweighs the extra tcp
roundtrip overhead.

I do agree that the default should probably be server-side since it is
the least surprising. We just need to make it very very clear in the
upgrade doc that this change will likely slow down peoples' apps and
show them how to turn client-side prepares back on.

-Rasmus

The MySQL team has been improving their server-side prepare code:
http://mysqlserverteam.com/re-factoring-some-internals-of-prepared-statements-in-5-7/

Chris

--
christopher.jo...@oracle.com  http://twitter.com/ghrd