> On 4 Nov 2014, at 17:46, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
>>> "public Foo function bar()" would be so much worse than "public function
>>> bar() : Foo"
>>
>> Because when you grep for "function bar", in future you'd have to know
>> the return type too.
>
> Sorry, I do not understand - why to grep for "function bar" you'd have
> to know the type? Just grep for "function bar" as you did before.

Because if that function has a return type, e.g.:

    public function Foo bar()

Then you couldn’t grep for “function bar” because of the Foo.

If we used this syntax instead, which wouldn’t disrupt grep:

    public Foo function bar();

It’d be inconsistent with normal function declarations which would have to have
Foo after function.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/